In 2011, Ansaldo STS set up the Internal Sustainability Committee (also referred to as the “Committee”), made up of the managers of the main company functions. The Committee’s mission is to define the company’s strategic guidelines for sustainable development and the promotion of social responsibility initiatives and see that they are implemented. The Internal Sustainability Committee reports directly to the Chairman and CEO of Ansaldo STS and collaborates and coordinates with the company’s organisational units.
The Committee is responsible for:
- the assessment of social and environmental risks that concern the company’s operations and evaluating the related performance;
- the definition and monitoring of the sustainability programme, made up of financial, social and environmental objectives;
- the implementation of the relevant codes and rules of social and environmental conduct defined by the company (code of ethics and HSE procedures and policies) or relating to international standards (Global Reporting Initiative, the Global Compact, the Carbon Disclosure Project, etc.);
- the definition and coordination of listening to, discussing with and involving stakeholders: sharing results and the steps to be taken;
- the definition and implementation of an internal and external sustainability communications plan.
In 2013, the Internal Sustainability Committee met to:
- plan and perform the materiality analysis, which entailed an internal survey to define the strategic level of the aspects that characterise Ansaldo STS’ sustainable development and an external investigation to involve the various categories of stakeholders and understand how they prioritise these aspects;
- define and discuss the 2013 reporting project with the following objectives:
- improve the level of application of the Global Reporting Initiative G3.1 guidelines;
- confirm the Global Compact and participation in the Carbon Disclosure Project;
- improve internal and external sustainability communications;
- participate in the Global Compact Network Italy projects;
- explore the sustainability of Ansaldo STS Australia’s business in a specific section of the report.